The mind doodles of Golgotha_tramp

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Your Friend or mine?

After a recent experience I have realised that some people for whatever reason are very protective of friends.

Now I don't mean standing up for them if someone bad-mouths them or worrying that they will get hurt when they start dating a new man (we all do that) I mean want to keep them to themselves, never to share.

I found this very strange as I have never really been like this. To me a getting a new friend is like finding a cute new bag, next time I'm out with my friends I want to bring them along and show everyone how cute they are and I take great pleasure in someone telling me my new pal is nice. I spend my time telling new people "just wait until you meet so-and-so, they'll adore you I can tell" I love to think that the people I love the most love each other.

I was thinking about this more as tonight I am out with two of my friends, one who I have known for nearly two years and another who I have known for about a year. I got them talking together and they are now dating. I really enjoy the fact that two people I care about have found some joy with each other and enjoy them both as individuals and a couple. I sometimes wonder if I had been a protective friend would I be happy? Would I be bitter that my male friend wasn't desperately in love with me and not my female friend? Would I have been angry at my female friend for using me to get to some totty? would I be angry at them both for finding someone to bring joy to their lives other then me?

5 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, Blogger frankengirl said...

I agree with you that friendship, in its best sense, should be as you say - one friendship leading to another leading to another - spreading the love! :)

But I imagine this "protection" may arise from an anxiety over being excluded. You introduced a gal and a guy and now they share an intimacy that doesn't include you.

So it's absolutely lovely that not only did you inspire their special bond, you can also enjoy it!

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger UltimateWriter said...

They call it a friend-ship for a reason. It's meant to be a big ship where friends of friends can meet each other. And yes, you get to be the captain.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Golgotha_Tramp said...

UW is obviously having a pirate themed week!

Does that mean I get to say 'oo aaarh Jim-lad!' and tell people to scrub the poop deck (he he he poop!)

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger frankengirl said...

Haha! I love UW's description of friend-ship. Though I often like the intimacy and informality of a canoe to the extravagance of a yacht or enormity of a cruise ship :)

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger UltimateWriter said...

yes definitely!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home