The mind doodles of Golgotha_tramp

Monday, February 13, 2006

One Day Only : Love, devotion and a cheap box of chocs!

The Valentine bug is almost upon us. I can honestly say that although I am a hopeless romantic and there's nothing I like more them smooches and cuggles that Valentines day is pretty sickening.

I am all for romantic gestures, showing someone you care. My boyfriend and I often come home with a little something for the other 'just because' and It's sweet, it makes you happy that your partner is thinking of you. But to make a day where everybody in a relationship feel obliged to do it is stupid. There really is no meaning behind the 'gestures' that Valentines day generates. A over handled box of chocolates and slightly wilted roses, an all too predictable valentines card filled with the usual hallmark sentiment are the usual suspects but your beau may be feeling adventurous and go for the grand gesture....Dinner.

I have had the misfortune of being taken out to dinner Valentines day, let me put it plainly....it sucked. My boyfriend of the time booked a table in a nice restaurant in London where that I had been hanging my nose over for a while, this little bistro boasted sweet secluded tables with delicate lighting and ambient enough to melt the hardest heart, so as you can imagine it had a price tag to break the biggest bank. I won't lie, I was amazingly chuffed to be told to get my glad rags on for an evening of culinary delights. But the thrill soon wore off, we may as well have gone to Macdonald's! The 20 or so tables and somehow bred filling the restaurant so full waiters were struggling to move between them, the place was as hot as a sauna and smelt just as bad and the beautiful soft music that used to play had been replaced with someone crooning heartbreak classics as 'you look wonderful tonight' and 'lady in red.' I was horrified! my little piece of heaven was officially hell!

Needless to say I have never gone out for Valentines since and I don't think I ever will. My Boyfriend and I have no intentions of doing anything out of the ordinary, We plan to spend the evening at home with dinner, wine and the sofa. Although I may let him pick the film, just this once.

8 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Blogger UltimateWriter said...

Make sure the wine isn't red either...

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger OutInLeftField said...

I was never a huge fan of going out on Valentine's day. Everything is overcrowded, and just like you said, places try to overdo it with the mushy stuff and put extra tables to make more money. I just went to coffee last night with a friend and the place had balloons and flowers at every table, and it's usual screen showing DVDs of Hip Hop or Rock artists concerts had Il Divo running on a loop. GAG! It was three days before the 14th!!! C'mon now!!! I'm all for the stay-at-home romantic gestures....especially if he cooks. :)

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger frankengirl said...

Yes, Golgotha, I agree wholeheartedly! V-Day has such a strained and superficial quality to it. (It is, of course, a Hallmark Corporation conspiracy, hehe!) But my favorite thing to do on V-Day is to send “the love” to my single friends.

"Although I may let him pick the film, just this once."

Ha! I’m not sure I can be quite that generous! Your entire description of the restaurant transformation is hilarious, btw! :)

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger RocketBootKid said...

Following your advice. Valentines is one of those days made what it is by Hallmark, and is responsible with your mall filled with Card shops. Like Mothers and Fathers Day - invented to sell cards. Valentines is really every day, and doesn't involve chocolates and getting fat, or killing flowers. "Here's a bunch of flowers which they killed specially for you, to show my love!".

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Panacea said...

As I can see from your posts and comments, thankfully, I'm not the only one thinks that Valentine's Day is over-rated.

You v-day plan sounds quite romantic actually and I'm sure it'll be more fun than the restauraunt :D

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger ash said...

I think this great site sums up my (and evidently a lot of people's) sentiments about Valentine's day.

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger The Poodle's Friend said...

For some of us, spending Valentine's Day at home with a boyfriend (notice the 'a'), wine, dinner and the sofa is exceptional enough. You're definitely one of the lucky ones. The rest of us shall drown their sorrows in...er...wine?

Haha-'lady in red'!

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger MikeChau said...

I staied home and watch the olympics w/my wife...that was very romantic..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home